Sunday, June 6, 2010

The great gray country

Today marks the beginning of a week of shit gray weather in Denmark, which is crying because I leave so soon. I leave for the airport at noon on Tuesday to visit Michael and Jennie in Stockholm, and they've already settled in their new flat.
I didn't end up visiting Skagen as I had hoped, but am content nonetheless. Séverin came back while we were having a really nice bonfire at the AIK Friday night. We made smores and drank beer until 4am. The next morning, we went to the west coast to Løkken and Lønstrup for a little dip in the Baltic Sea. Jeebus, it's cold in the sea!! Løkken is strange because all of the Danes drive onto the beach and sit in their cars, and very few go swimming (with good reason). I put my entire body into the water, against better judgment, with the attitude that any chance to live is worth taking. Now, I believe, I have prolonged this cold of mine. Even so, I think I would have regretted not getting in the water. After being cold and wind-blown and hungry and thirsty, Bastien, Laure, Séverin, and I went to the store to buy food for lunch and then drove to the lighthouse at Lønstrup. The lighthouse was built 200m inland, but the sea levels rose and the strong winds have blown GIANT dunes around the lighthouse, covering a lot of it. When you drive up to Lønstrup, it looks like you're approaching a desert. You climb to the top of the dunes and overlook the rolling hills and forests on one side, and the turquoise Baltic Sea on the other. It's surreal. I've never seen anything like it. I feel very complete with my trip to Denmark now that I've been to the sea as well as the local viking graveyard. It was a reminder of my love for Denmark.
Tomorrow is my last full day in Aalborg, and I have business to attend to instead of more playing. Besides removing myself completely from Denmark, I have research to do on Ireland for my program. I am choosing not to do any homework or work while I'm in Sweden, so tomorrow will be a busy day. Fortunately, the gray weather doesn't tempt me to do anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment