Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hej hej Danmark, Hej från Sverige!

My last full day in Aalborg was attending to business, closing my Danish bank account, trying to return my yellow card (my Danish ID as a part of my student visa), going to the post office, etc. Afterward, we had a big - and very cheap - dinner for 13 or so people which Dop helped me make. Unfortunately, I haven't taken any pictures since Løkken because I got sand in my lense... oof. It was definitely a night to document! It was just supposed to be dinner with friends, hearing stories of Yasin's trip to Spain, and a celebration for Elisa, who turned in her thesis that night (Brava, Elisa!!!). It became a "Dani's going away, so let's get drunk and do karaoke" party, and Yasin brought a bottle of green anise poison from Mallorca. Oh goodness! Dance party and beer fight ensued. We tore it up until the early hours of the morning, and then woke up at 10 to make sure I packed and caught my (somewhat) early flight at noon. Bastien, Yasin, Laure, and Séverin took me to the airport, all of us in Séverin's tiny car with my giant suitcase. It was a really lovely goodbye, one of the best I've ever had, and I feel so connected to all of my friends, old and new, and my sweet "hyggelig" Danish home.
Unfortunately, the flight from Copenhagen to Stockholm was excruciating because the high-elevation pressure didn't mix well with my sinus infection, and I was partially deaf out of my left ear for the rest of the day. All is well now, and Michael and Jennie are renting a really cute flat in student housing one or two blocks from the Natural Museum. We found out that on Sunday, the day before I leave, Jane Goodall will be giving a talk for only 90 krowns!! Michael was making fun of me because seeing the Natural Museum is one of my top priorities here. Me? A nerd? Not at all. I have a full transportation card for the time that I spend here, and I plan on seeing a lot of the city, which is very clean and organized (and very Scandinavian). Last night and this morning have been completely relaxed and calm, but tomorrow we're setting out early to take a trip and have a picnic in an archipelago. We're also going to the Absolut Ice Bar, which is a bar made entirely out of Lapland ice. Pretty cool... pun intended!
There's a Swedish royal wedding between the Crown Princess Victoria and her "frog kissed and transformed into a prince" boyfriend Prince Daniel, who was a fitness instructor turned into royalty. It's supposed to be the biggest European royal wedding since Prince Charles and Lady Di, so the city is in celebration mode. I've been invited to join the "celebration of love," a.k.a. Love Stockholm 2010. This is really sweet and cheesy and strangely appropriate, given my third-wheel status with the happily reunited couple I'm staying with. I believe this will be a nice time to visit Stockholm.

http://www.nordicseahotel.se/en/The-hotel/Food-and-drink/Absolut-Icebar-Stockholm/
http://www.examiner.com/x-/x-5821-International-Travel-Insights-Examiner~y2009m12d2-Celebrate-Swedens-royal-wedding-during-Love-Stockholm-2010-June-6th-to-20thwere-talkintravel

No comments:

Post a Comment